Saturday, May 21, 2016

Alexandrite Color Change Gemstone

I have probably blogged about Alexandrite before, it is one of my all time favorite gemstones, but it is next in alphabetical order of gemstones, so here we go again. I will try to add something different.  I actually wore an Alexandrite ring for years, that I made, and one day the stone just fell out and I could not find it.  I was heart broken.  I do have another, but it is quite small, and I have not found a setting I like to put it in.

Alexandrite is a color changing gemstone.  What does that mean?  It means in one light it is green, and in another light source it is red to purplish.  The newest location is Africa, but also comes from Brazil, and even USA.   It is amazing.  Alexandrite, is of course more expensive the more color change you get.  It is a naturally occurring gemstone, with no enhancements.  Most famous source is Russia, and was a stone named after Czar Alexander of Russia, hence the name Alexandrite.  It is a very durable gemstone, with a hardness of 8.5 out of 10, on the Moh's Hardness Scale.  If you can get one, and not break the bank, do it.  You won't be sorry.  There is synthetic Alexandrite, and Alexandrite simulated stones.  The best way to tell, if you are not sure, is the fakes are usually very large, with beautiful vibrant color, and 100% color change.  A genuine natural Alexandrite most likey will not be bigger than a carat, unless it came from an estate.  Alexandrite is a member of the Chrysoberyl family of gemstones.

Check out the video below showing the color change.  Please note I am not affiliated with the seller, I am just sharing the video showing the beautiful color change.


No comments:

Contact Email