Saturday, June 6, 2009

Kyanite A Rare And Exotic Gemstone


Kyanite also called Disthene, is a lovely blue gemstone, as pictured. I do not personally own one of these, yet. It is very similar in color to a fine Cashmere Sapphire, or even the blueberry blue Chantaburi Sapphire. While Kyanite is expensive, it is no where as expensive as a top quality sapphire. However, Kyanite is a very brittle stone, with only about a 4 on the Mohs Hardness scale. Because of this reason, it has been vary rarely found in jewelry, but more as a collectors stone. It can be purchased in beads, and cabachons, as well, but they do not have the fine blue color, and clarity of the faceted stones. The most loveliest of stones are currently found in Nepal, but Kyanite can also be found in the US, Burma, Brazil, Kenya, Austrial and Switzerland. I found a creek in Pennsylvania, where they actually mine for this gemstone. I am unsure of the quality of the material, but it is still very cool. It can also be a dark purple color, and does have pleochroism effects, meaning it looks different colors from different angles, and lighting. I can not wait to add one of these beauties to my collection. I will have to decide whether to set it, or just leave as a loose stone. I guess it will depend on how much it costs me LOL.

No comments:

Contact Email