Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sphene Also Called Titanite

Have you ever heard of Sphene? It is a fairly new gemstone, rare, and exotic. It comes in a variety of colors yellow, brown, green, and reddish. It has strong pleochroism meaning it looks different colors in different lights. In its finest form, it is a green, yellow color, and it has the fire, and dispersion more than a diamond, in natural lighting. Large stones, in gem quality, are extremely difficult to find. It is a fairly brittle stone, and great care must be taken when setting this gemstone. It only has a hardness of around 5, on the Mohs Hardness Scale. Great care must be taken when wearing it in rings, or bracelets, and it is not recommended for every day wear. Watch the video below to see some awesome examples of this lovely gemstone.



5 comments:

Laura said...

I learn so much from you. Love the videos you put up.

Melissa said...

Thank you, Laura. I am glad you enjoy your time spent here.

Tellie said...

I've never heard of it in my life but wow, is it beautiful!!

Melissa said...

I have one in my collection, and I acquired it quite by accident.

Momgen said...

Hi Melissa would you like to sponsor a contest I am celebrating my wedding anniversary, my birthday and two of my blogsversay this month so this contest is for this events. Would you mind to sponsor this contest? You can offer either cash, your products/items, EC credits and etc...Pls. reply before June 8 thank you...

Contact Email