Sunday, March 15, 2009

Aquamarine The Birthstone For March

This lovely ring, made by me, is I believe the lovely Aquamarine, which is the birthstone for March. I can not verify it yet, as I do not have all my tools yet, but it has a lovely blue color, like Aquamarine. It could be Blue Topaz, though, or any other blue gemstone. I will be getting my tools for Mothers Day, to hopefully identify stones I am not certain of. Aquamarine is a member of the Beryl family, like Emeralds, Goshenite, and Morganite. It is a very durable gemstone with a hardness of 7 1/2-8 on the Mohs hardness scale. In its finest color it looks like you are looking at the ocean. It is very often heated, to enhance color, and remove green undertones. However, the natural color, with the green undertones is increasingly becoming popular. It can be very expensive, in finer, darker colors. The very light aquas, with very little color, are not considered quality stones, though there are those that prefer that color, and price point. If you are a March baby, you need to have this lovely stone, in your collection.

No comments:

Contact Email