Thursday, October 4, 2012

Featured Artist: Shanghai Tai

This is a Share the Love Bloggers Unite post. Each week the On Fire For Handmade team picks an artisan to feature. I try to remember to do these each week, but unfortunately life gets to busy and I miss some. Lucky for you, I remembered this week. Here is a small bio on Shanghai Tai:

Shanghai Tai is this weeks Featured Artist on Share the Love, Blogger’s Unite. My journey in jewelry-making began in Shanghai, China. While living there I learned about pearls; first buying pearl jewelry while shopping with the other tai tais (wives), then designing my own personal jewelry and having it made by the shops there, and buying a variety of pearls. With my family I also traveled extensively in China in addition to other parts of Asia. After returning to the U.S., I began taking jewelry classes in order to use the large supply of pearls I had accumulated. My shop is named “Shanghai Tai” because one tai character means “too”, as in “too much”, “too expensive”, like “extreme”. Two of the same character together though, is tai tai, which means “wife” or “Mrs.” To me, Shanghai Tai represents the lifestyle that western expat women live in Asia. My designs often have an Asian influence as a result of my many travels and exposure to Eastern cultures.


 She is very well versed in the many types of jewelry making. From glass to wire, even metal and clay. She can make pretty much anything you might want. She can be found on many venues where handmade items are sold including, Blog, Artfire, Pinterest, her own website and Facebook.

So you can see there are a variety of ways for you to see and love her work.  I love the pearls, they are my absolute favorite.  So special and precious, soft and beautiful. 


1 comment:

Brinda said...

thx for the post . amazing post

Contact Email