Friday, January 29, 2010

Fun Friday The Letter O: Opals














Today is Fun Friday at our Blogging For Fun group, and we are up to the letter O. O is for Opals.
Opal is the birthstone for October, and it is an old wives tale that if you wear opal, and it is not your birthstone, it will bring you bad luck. I have never found this to actually be true. The two pictures shown are Mexican fire Opal, and a very fine Australian opal. Fining an opal with the play of color, of that fine opal is very difficult. Most are milky white with very little play of color to them. I own one with awesome play of color, but it is a doublet, which brings its value down just a bit. A doublet is a real opal, but it is a very small opal, that is actually sliced off of the more not so nice part of the stone, and placed on a more durable substance such as synthetic spinel. There is also fire opal that comes from Brazil, but it is a more yellow color, rather than the orange that I love. The ring I believe is Mexican fire opal cabachon, but it could also be fire agate, or carnelian. It has two tanzanite accent stones on either side. I would love to sell this one, but I scratched the setting, when setting the stone, so I am fortunate enough to be able to keep it in my collection.

3 comments:

betchai said...

those are lovely rings, Melissa. i am not much of a ring person, i love earrings and bracelets though :)

Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage said...

Gorgeous! Love that fire opal. I have a little opal ring my mother brought back from New Zealand. Opals are picky when it comes to taking care of them, but I do enjoy them. Have a good weekend. ; )
~Michele

Melissa said...

Betchai I am a ring girl, but I love bracelets too. Earrings are ok, if I can leave them in for long periods of time.

Michele yes thank you for mentioning that the opals definitely need careful taking care of. They are quite fragile, and unstable.

Contact Email