Thursday, April 8, 2010

Yellow Diamonds, April is Diamond Month


April is the month of diamonds. Why? Because diamonds are the birth stone for all the lucky people born in April. Did you know that diamonds were not the original engagement stone. The blue sapphire was the original engagement stone, and some cultures used the pearl. Diamonds are the toughest gemstones in the world, with a hardness of 10 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. There are yellow diamonds that are natural, with no treatment, some are called Sunshine Diamonds, because of their paler yellow color than the irradiated variety called, canary yellow diamonds. Colored diamonds, whether treated or untreated are very expensive. Even small colored diamonds are expensive, even with poor quality. There are simulated yellow diamonds on the market that are really beautiful, and affordable. I do not personally own a yellow diamond in my collection, at least not that I know of. I did sell a one carat parcel of some for a friend of mine, and they were beautiful. Since April is the month of the diamond, I will share a new color all month. I think you will be surprised how many colors a diamond can actually be purchased in.

2 comments:

Split Rock Ranch said...

I did NOT know that but 20 years ago we bought a sapphire ring to replace my wedding ring and now to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary hubby just bought me another sapphire ring with multi-colored sapphires in it!

Melissa said...

I love Sapphires, and even though they can be expensive too, they are still more affordable than natural colored diamonds.

Contact Email