Monday, August 6, 2012

Upcycled Hand Painted Mosaic Candle Jar

For the past couple of years, my kids and I, have been learning about reusing, and reducing waste. Now I have found a new thing called Upcycling. Upcycling is basically where you take garbage, and make it into something new again. I have found so many cool ideas for Upcycling products. Anyways I love candles, and I love to paint. So, I decided to put it all into one project. The result is this beautiful hand painted, by me, mosaic upcycled pizza sauce candle jar. So far I only have one of these, but will be doing more in various mosaics and colors. It almost looks like stained glass. Anyway there are at least three layers of paint for each color, and some colors took up to six layers to be dark enough for my liking. Then, I put on two more layers of black outlining. Then it sits for two weeks, and then I seal it with two layers of durable sealer. This one is not dated or signed, but my future pieces will be. I then filled it half way with marbles and added a votive candle. You could add or remove marbles as you see fit. I think I would like them less to get more of the mosaic lit up. You could also add one of those candles that don't actually burn, so it will stay nice and clean. That is a good idea actually! This piece is now listed in my Etsy store. Plus, I am having a Summer sale. use code summer12 to get 15% off all store items, even new ones. Soon I will be listing loose gemstones, from my huge gemstone collection. That should be fun and exciting too.

2 comments:

betchai said...

this is a very beautiful design, i haven't painted on glass, but must be an enjoyable work.

Melissa said...

Thank you, Betchai. I just made a second one last night in a heart mosaic design. Glass is actually one of the most difficult things to paint on. I do enjoy the challenge though.

Contact Email