Tuesday, July 3, 2012

How Are Synthetic Gems Made?

Now that my 30 day challenge is over, I can now focus on some other things to share with my readers. One thing I find extremely interesting is how they make synthetic gemstones. Synthetic gemstones are made using low quality gemstones of the same species, say emeralds, and a small seed of high quality specimen of the same species of gemstones. They then heat it at really high temps and pressure and the result is a perfect emerald, that will have the same chemical and optical properties of an emerald grown in nature. Synthetics and simulants are not the same. Simulated gemstones are not created using any of the actual real gemstone, but usually glass or plastic or any other variety of substances. I think YAG is my favorite synthetic gemstone out there. I believe it is the same as Fabulite which was very popular in the 70's. It is highly collectible, and if you have any Fabulite it is probably worth a good chunk of money today.

2 comments:

Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage said...

Interesting! I'm sort of a "real or nothing" gal, but didn't know that about that about how synthetics were made. Thanks for sharing. Have a great Independence Day. ; )
~Michele

Melissa said...

Michelle technically they are real because they are grown, not created, from real parts of the original gemstone. I like them for especially expensive gemstones, that I might never be able to afford in the natural and high quality form.

Contact Email