Monday, April 21, 2014

Two Solar Powered Garden Fairy Houses From Wine Bottles

I love to paint on things, other than just painting paper, or canvas. Wood is my favorite. Glass is not one of my favorites, but it is a challenge every time. My mom had been saving a ton of wine bottles. She loves to paint on glass, and was planning on painting these. But, she got so many she just did not know what to do with them. Some have been sitting in my garage, for quite some time, then you brought more, lol. A few years ago, I painted a bunch of them, and they are garden watering bottles. You just fill them, invert them, and stick them into the ground near the plant. It works wonderful, and now I have so many plants, I need to make more.  The paint is all still there, even after three years, just not as bright from the harsh sun.   But, I got this other idea first. I bought one Solar powered light, that is small, for like garden use. Then I took two of the large bottles, made sure the solar light would slide down into the bottle, and then painted the bottles. Originally my intention was that they would look like a lighthouse. Which they do. But, then I remembered we live in a state where we get frequent harsh storms, with strong winds, so I figured I better put it into the ground just a little bit. So, I dug a small hole, and put it in there, and filled the dirt around it. Voila, now it doesn't look so much like a lighthouse, but more like a Fairy House. So, that is what I will call them. The red and white one, does not have a solar light yet, but I will get it this week. I am going to take a picture after it gets dark, to see what it looks like. I am going to put these all around my gardens, and maybe save some electricity too, when we have night get togethers. I will be listing these in my Etsy store, as made to order only. You can pick how you want them, but I have to say they take a full day from start to finish, and several layers of paint, and sealer. They would be great for a night wedding, or party. If you were real clever you could probably even hang them from a tree with sturdy wire or rope.



4 comments:

LanasArtStudio said...

Clever idea! I like the painting last one here - my favs!

A. Sparkle said...

That's such a super cute idea! I never would've thought to do something like that. Great job! :)

Unknown said...

They look lovely!!

Melissa said...

Thank you. They are fun to make, but they take a while to do.

Contact Email