Monday, May 19, 2014

Graduation Money Jar and Zentangled Wine Bottle Solar Garden Light

I am behind on sharing my Zentangle challenge pieces. If you don't know what Zentangle is, it is basically a fancy word for doodling. I joined an Ancient Art Zentangle group on Facebook, and each week a new set of patterns to use are posted and you design your own art piece. The first one is a bear. It is painted on a recycled, now upcycled into a solar garden light. After painting on the design my pieces are sealed twice and set in the sun to seal more. Then I took a solar garden stake, from the Dollar Tree, inserted into the jar, so the solar part is sticking out and then put it in the garden. I now have five solar garden lights completed. I think I have five more wine bottles left. They are all different designs, and you can see them in this blog. I think I am going to list them in my Etsy store as made to order only.

 The second piece, is a recycled, now upcycled glass pickle jar. First I sealed the bare jar. This was an experiment to see if it helps the paint go on smoother with less streaking, and yes it works quite well. I still added three layers of purple paint as the base coats. Then I used an owl stencil, won't do that again, and tangled the owl. At first I was very disappointed, but I outlined the eyes and beak a bit better, and that satisfied me. Then on the other side, I painted the saying You're A Smartie, tangled the words, and class of 2014 at the very bottom. Last but not least, I added some tangled borders on the sides, and top. The lid was painted purple and a smartie candy super glued to it. I filled it with Smartie candies for the party, and she can reuse it for anything she wants. A money jar at her graduation party this weekend, would be awesome I think. Jars can be used to store so many different things. Again, I think I am going to list these as made to order for birthdays, graduations and weddings. I am sure Baby and Wedding showers would be awesome too.

 I am caught up now, on the Zentangle posts. Now to get the rest of them done, lol. I am working on a super cute infant baby boy cocoon, so be sure to watch for that in the near future. I will also be having some new, and unique resin pieces to share.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love them! They must look great in your garden!
Do they get enough energy from the sun after the jar is painted though?

Melissa said...

Yes, they get enough energy because the solar light apparatus is actually outside of the jar. They have a stake so you could stick them in the ground. I just stick the stake into the opening of the jar instead of the ground.

Arctida said...

They are so lovely! Love the bright colors :)

Contact Email