Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Pink, Red and White Painted Poinsettias on Wood Cake Stand

I love painting on wood! This piece is a couple of firsts for me. It is my first time painting on wood in its rough form, and first time painting poinsettia flowers. About a week, or so ago, we had to chop down a dead tree. I mean it was dead. This was not from that tree. We noticed another tree that was obviously diseased, so we opted to take that one down too. I am a bit of a tree geek, so it broke my heart. I had my husband cut two slices, one for me, and one for my son. He will be making a friend of his a birthday gift with his, and mine has been reformed into a rustic cake stand as shown. It is a bit thick, so I really can not sell it. So, it will become part of my Winter table decor. The tree still has large parts sitting in our front yard, waiting to be burned. I have asked my husband to cut me some smaller, and thinner slices, before he burns them all. That way I can create some pieces I can offer for sale. I can buy wood slices, but how nice that it came from my tree. I did not sand this wood, so it was definitely in the rough, lol. I had to apply two layers of the black base paint, then draw on the flowers with a white pencil, then paint three layers of the flowers and outlines. Very time consuming, but I love the results.



2 comments:

LanasArtStudio said...

This is very beautiful! Christmas time indeed!

Melissa said...

Thank you, Lana!

Contact Email