Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy July it is Time For A Blood Red Ruby Pendant

I actually finished this last week, but saved it for July to share. Why? Because, the birth stone for July is the Ruby. Rubies are one of the most precious gemstones known to man. They are a member of the Conundrum family and are really a sapphire. Why rubies got called rubies instead of red sapphires, I have no idea. All other sapphires are called sapphires, except Rubies. Color of course is the main thing to look for when buying a Ruby. You want what they refer to as pigeon blood red color. Rubies are very often loaded with inclusions, making a clean one extremely rare and quite expensive.

 This ruby, shown below, is an opaque blood red fine color Ruby. It is faceted, but it has barely any pavilion to the back, but yet not flat like a cabochon. This made it incredibly difficult to set in any traditional settings. So, one day, when I was messing around with my resin, I placed it in there to see how it would come out. I think it is spectacular. I drilled a hole, and used red wire to make the bail. You just add the necklace, ribbon or cord. It is available for purchase now, in my Etsy store. 


4 comments:

Unknown said...

It is lovely! And a great idea to keep it for July!

elettrarossa said...

...Well done, I'll heart it on Etsy! Plus, I didn't know rubies were actually sapphires :D

Melissa said...

Thank you, Aisha. Elettrarossa, if the ruby is too light in color it will actually be called a pink sapphire, though some sellers will still sell them as rubies. Thank you for hearting on Etsy. I appreciate it.

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

Gorgeous :)

And that is interesting to know about the Ruby and Sapphire :)

Have a lovely day, cheers,T. :)

Contact Email