Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Vintage Roman Soldier Cameo Under Glass

Do you see this very cool cameo. I have had this for a number of years. I purchased it with a lot of Vintage jewelry, and thought it might have some value so I held onto it. It appears to be gold toned, and is a brooch/pendant. It is heavy, and the cameo itself is a Roman Soldier, with irridescent background. It is under glass, not plastic. Someone said it could be an Intaglio, but I can not find any markings on it. If anyone knows, anything about this type of vintage cameo, I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks reversed carved not an intaglio to me- but I can't tell by the pictures. It looks like a female cameo I recently sold...Are you sure it's male. Hard for me to tell from the pictures.

An intaglio is the opposite of cameo and then there is reversed carved as well. I wrote a post on the difference on vintage jewelry pictures. You can check out that blog post.

Melissa said...

Thanks I will definitely check out your post. I had no idea there were that many different types. It appears to be a male to me. I do not think women were soldiers but maybe they were.

Contact Email