Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tigers Eye Member Of The Quartz Family




Tigers Eye, is a genuine gemstone, from the Quartz family. Created from Hawks Eye, part of the components of the material has oxidized to a brown color, and kept its fibrous structure. These fibers usually show up as stripes, on the gemstone. Some finer quality, Tigers Eye, will show a cats eye effect, with chatoyancy. Tigers eye, has a hardness of 6 1/2-7 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, it has no cleavage, making it a durable gemstone. It is always cut in cabachon form, and has been used in gemstone carvings for many years. It is susceptible to some acids, so care should be taken not to wear Tigers Eye, when cleaning or working with chemicals. This ring, was made by me. It features a round Tigers Eye gemstone, with cats eye effect, set in a sterling silver ring, with rhodium plating, and Bella Luce CZ's. The Bella Luce semi mount, was purchased from JTV. This ring is available for purchase in my Etsy store.

We are into the last day of the contest, to win the Star Diopside Ring. To see the ring, go to the archives, and look for the title with that headline. I will be drawing the winner through Random.org tomorrow morning, and the winner will be announced and contacted. You still have time to get in. Join my reader, leave comments, buzz me up, lots of different ways. Good luck to everyone, that has entered.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like Tiger's Eye it is features in a lot of vintage jewelry- I have a carved scarab brooch that is a huge hunk of tiger's eye. I am hoping it does not sell - then I get to keep it.

Anonymous said...

I do that with a lot of the stuff I make too. If it doesnt sell, at some point it will become part of my collection. This was not the stone I intended for this setting, but it fit so perfectly.

Contact Email